Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Week 35 – August 30th – “Photojournalism”


"First Place"
"Photojournalism"


I normally don’t like posting anything sad on my blog (and challenges), but when I learned that this week’s challenge at I Heart Faces was “Photojournalism” (which is using an image[s] to tell a story) there was only one photo that came to mind.

To explain my photo I have to start by saying that my husband’s son was sadly taken from him three years ago by an accident, he was 27.

Jason loved trains, and as my husband remembers his son, was fascinated by them. Jason used to travel north into Georgia every chance he could to a little town called Folkston. There they have “The Folkston Funnel” which is a double track which serves as the main artery for railroad traffic into and out of Florida. They have a platform where you can go sit and wait for the trains to pass and they provide a radio frequency that announces which train is coming, etc. On occasion we would take the trip up to Folkston with Jason to sit and just pass the time watching the trains with him.

At the first anniversary of his passing, my husband and I decided to take a trip up to Folkston in memory of Jason and have done so (and will continue to do) every year as life permits.

The photo I am featuring (mainly the top photo) is of my husband that I took this last May on the day of our anniversary visit. It was taken just as the first train passed by us at approximately 1:27 PM, which was the time of Jason’s passing (look at his watch). We never planned it that way we didn’t even notice the time that we had arrived. Call it coincidence, call it a sign, call it fate, call it whatever, but the emotion that was going through my husband at that moment, when I turned around and looked at him, was monumental. It saddens me when I look at this photo, but also can’t help be captivated by the volumes that it speaks.

Jason was a genuinely kind soul, whom was taken entirely too soon and is missed by us and his entire family every day.

Make sure you go and check out all the other amazing entries at I Heart Faces.


30 comments:

Natalie said...

WoW. That's all I can say. This is sad but you're right the images DOES speak volumes and you did well putting this together. Very great and I'm sorry for both your losses.

Megan Traxel said...

That top photo especially is fabulous. The emotion definitely carries through. Thank you for sharing this photo despite how personal it is.
Megan
http://mkgrunder.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-heart-photojournalism.html

Kayla Van Patten said...

AMAZING pictures. Not only are the pictures great, but they do tell a very heartfelt and emotional story! I'm so sorry for your loss, but I think this was your sons way of sending you a little message that everything will be okay.

Linkie Lueville said...

oh my word. there are SO many amazing photos this week. but your's by far, is the best i've seen. This image gives my a heavy heart. and the love your husband still has for his son, even after death, is SO evident here. the pain. oh my. i'm like balling as i right this. these photos are just beautiful. while i know it never gets easier, i hope your husbands life just get more beautiful as time goes on. jeeze. this is just a great photo.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Your photos capture the emotion, even without your story. You can see the pain and hurt in the top photo of your husband. I, too, don't believe it was a coincidence about the train passing at 1:27.

Anonymous said...

I never get tired of hearing these heartfelt stories, JenParker is right, It was not a coincidence... It was a sign from Jason saying he was alright....:'-)

Anonymous said...

Oh what a BEAUTIFUL memory of his son! I think these are so powerful!

FYH said...

This is really a emotional story, I am without words...the pictures are very beautiful, they are a perfect and precious memory.

Anonymous said...

That shot does speak volumes, and it's wonderful you can provide support for him every year as he feels the grief anew.

~Briana @ Wake Up, Juliet

Foursons said...

Wow, what an amazing story behind the photo, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I love that you made the top shot b&w and the processing on it is absolutely perfect.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

Ashley Sisk said...

Wow - what a story...these are beautiful shots to reflect the story.

Ed Cueto said...

This picture is so descriptive I can only say that I am moved to tears =(

A great man with us and one watching over him

Our Family said...

truly beautiful - the photos, the story, the emotions. May your family be blessed.

Brenda said...

Your photojournalism piece is amazing in the emotion it portrays. Reading your story and then looking at your photos again it's hard not to feel the sadness that your husband is feeling. God Bless your and your family.

mQn Photography said...

Just beautiful..

Anonymous said...

That's what photojournalism is all about. Whether the story is happy or sad, it needs to be told, and you told it so beautifully. Thanks for the reminder of the uncertainty of life and the depth of a father's love. I'm going to hug my boy a little tighter when I pick him up from school today....

Tricia said...

Such a beautiful tribute to your husband and his son's memory. Thank you for sharing this very intimate moment.

Unknown said...

This made me cry and cry. I am so sorry for your loss and your pain. I pray that as time goes by each trip will be less painful.

Thank you for being brave enough to share. Praying for you today.

Kristen said...

That is so touching, Beautiful.

Wendy said...

What a touching post..... beautiful!

MPE by Irela said...

Thank you everyone for all the beautiful, kind words. It means alot. <3<3

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Congrats on your win! Such a touching story and photo.

Amy, I Heart Faces

Linkie Lueville said...

Congratulations on the win. You deserve it! Hands down the best photo this week!

missdani said...

Such a beautiful photo, I am so sorry for your loss. I could feel the emotion in the top photo when I first saw it, and before reading the story. I will pray for strength for your family as you continue to heal. God bless.

Meegan said...

congrats on winning. such a great photo essay. so sorry for the loss that created it.

Lady Grey said...

Beautifully taken photo and equally beautiful tribute ...

MPE by Irela said...

Thank you all so so very much. :)

Andrea said...

Congratulations on winning! Such a moving photo.

Holly said...

Incredible capture and perfectly beautiful tribute! BIG (((HUGS))) to your husband, you and all who are missing him! <3

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry. Your photos are beautiful and the memorial to your son is beautiful. Hugs and prayers.